Sunday, May 25, 2014

Courageous Graduate

My daughter commuted to campus by city bus for four years. Sometimes she dealt with some unsavory characters. It was not just helpful but eased many of our minds and hearts that Nick would walk her to bus stops to send her off and meet her upon her return as well. She went through many of the things that college students face... being on wait lists for classes needed for her major... personal items stolen while in transit... late study nights... papers... incredibly difficult scheduling. She worked a job while taking classes for over 3 1/2 years. A significant highlight to her college experience was working for the San Francisco Chronicle as an intern for several semesters. She has been published many times now. The greatest challenge, however, was losing her brother. I cannot ever express how proud I am that she was willing to accept counsel and help and that she persevered. There were highs and lows as most of us face and it has been my honor to be her mom, listening to her excitement and sharing the pain. When I sat here wondering what to title a post that would highlight her college graduation the word "courage" kept coming to mind.

Today I heard a handful of speeches which were to be an inspirational sending off for these graduates. I looked up graduation quotes, hoping to find one that was perfect for my girl. I smile at the one by Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hitch your wagon to a star" and I remember those days preparing her for that first semester. She had a dream and she was going after it. Yet Eddie Rickenbacker, a WWI flying ace had the inspirational quote that wins for tonight... "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." I know there have been times Rebekah was exhausted, discouraged and afraid. But she kept going. Congratulations, my courageous graduate.

Many of us met at the mall next to the college for a bite to eat prior to the commencement ceremony.


Then my lovely girl donned her choice apparel and we gathered in the parking lot with other family members...

Joseph, Rebekah and Shasta

Meeting up with Zoey

Grandma Cathy, Aunt Debbie and Uncle Kevin joined us, too, and we began our trek to the theater where the very best of the graduations was held... lol.
Thank you, Nick, for making sure Rebekah walked safely in her heels... (Just teasing you, Bek, you did a great job today!)

We hung out a bit since we were early...

Cue music...

Oh, my goodness, I am so proud of her I can hardly stand it!

A quick wave to mom as she makes way to the best seat she could have been given!!

Look! There she is!!

We enjoyed the little talks, but everyone knows the highlight is when your own special graduate's name is called...


It is still not easy to get them to all smile at the same time...

So, I focused on just the girls...

... and then the boys...

Then I had some one on one with Zoey because I don't get to spend much time with her these days...

And I got one last shot of the graduate in cap n gown... with me!

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~Albert Einstein

No comments: