Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Remembering Desi

Once there was a young girl named Desirae Mooney. She went by Desi and was a vibrant person. Her parents and sisters loved her.... and she did not know her Aunt Betty. She might have known that her dad had a sister named Betty and that Aunt Betty lived far away with a lot of children, but didn't stay in close contact with her extended family. But, honestly, I doubt she ever thought of me. I didn't know her... she didn't know me.

And one day Desi's short life of 18 years came to a tragic end in a car crash.

I'll never forget the look on my brother's face. Painfully etched in my memory is him standing there, shaking his head, distraught. I'll never forget the feel of hugging him while he wept. Some memories we wish just wouldn't have happened. We'd rather not have that experience. I'll never forget seeing Desi's mom, Diana, eyes puffed and swollen from grief, holding her loved daughter's shirt in her arms.

Today is the 2nd anniversary of Desi's death.

Please pray for Dan, Diana, Denise and Dari as they grieve today.

And learn along with me a very important lesson. My niece, were she here, would not be able to say, "Aunt Betty taught me......" And that is tragic, too. How many of us don't stay in touch with loved ones out there? It would not have taken me long to write a note once in a while and send it to my niece. But, life was busy and I never did. Please don't do that. Take a moment and contact someone that hasn't heard from you lately. When I left the services held for my niece I promised myself that I would stay in contact with family.... even if means sending a card at holiday time or little goodies sent by mail. I want my nieces and nephews to know Aunt Betty. Who needs to know you?

No comments: