Friday, April 1, 2011

Inspired Cooking

Last week I made a great dinner! Surprise!!


It started a couple of weeks ago. I was wandering down store aisles... wondering what to buy and put together as meals for the family. And, as often is the case, I thought that it would have been easier to do the thinking and wondering prior to arriving at the store. Then thoughts turned inward and my self talk was something like, "You know, you usually do your best under a bit of pressure. This is part of being such a creative person! Oh,I am so tired and none of these food items look remotely interesting. Lasagne! Yeah, that's it! I'll make a killer lasagne."

The ricotta cheese and mazarella made it into the cart and several minutes after the milk, eggs and yogurt were added and I stared blankly at pet food, it hit me... noodles! I need the noodles!

And when I arrived at the pasta section, the cute manicotti just called out to me.
I have no idea what I served with it, since that was sometime last week, but it sure was tasty!

This morning I read a friend's allrecipes blog and she shared how stressful it was to not have plans for meals and wake up and wonder what to make for dinner and all... and she has much more of a reason to be tired than I do because she is expecting her baby to be born in a few weeks... and she planned out her week's meals and searched recipes and shared how great this week has been... so, I took hold of that inspiration, examined it and promptly tossed it out the window! Nah. Well, kind of. You see, the more organized I get, the more bored I become. It must be genetic or some such thing. And didn't I mention that I am a creative person?

But, really. I did work on some food planning and prepared a couple days worth of meat this morning. Because I get hungry. And I am working the next couple days and it does get frustrating to not have a plan sometimes...
(Sauteed chicken... for "whatever")


I figure most people who read my blog already know how to cook and all... but, in case this could help someone out there who is like me and just wants to get in and out of the kitchen quickly... here's how I fixed amazing Talapia fish filets: purchased fozen filets (because that's in my budget), thawed out, rinsed and patted dry, sprinkled with garlic salt and lemon pepper, cooked in a bit of olive oil (or canola oil, whichever is in the cupboard), 4 minutes on one side, turned over, 4 minutes on the other. Yumm.

So, here's to you, Karla! (She's the one who blogs at allrecipes.) Now, I am going to grab a bite to eat and head out to a hobby shop.

Have a wonderful weekend and may you be blessed in the kitchen so that you can move on to the more important things in life! (JK if you love to cook and all...)

2 comments:

Karla Marie said...

YES! And THAT is how it works! :) The whole 'prepping' of stuff. That's what makes the difference! LOL
However, before I could prep anything....lol...I personally had to buy stuff, because we've been living on a rotating door policy with the grocery store...and for me and my preggo brain, waliking in there without a plan left me wandering around, wondering when I could go back to the truck and get off my feet...LOL.
When you walk with intent to pick out/pick up your next item ON YOUR LIST, and you find yourself in a confused state, saying to your shopping partner, "Where are we going? What are we getting?"...I found it's WAY better for me to have a plan...LOL. That way, well, we all make it out of Fred Meyer alive. LOL
Kudo's to you and your spontaneity! And your creativite...both of which have escaped me completely with this (and every) pregnancy. ;)
Have a blessed week.
Love and hugs <3

Unknown said...

Hi Betty! :) You are welcome to the quote which by Ann Voskamp and sure, link away! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)