Friday, October 21, 2011

Now it's time for the nursery...

Many months ago Shasta and I picked out materials for Jayden's nursery. Then I had one thing to do and another. I knew I wouldn't get to sewing until after my house was painted and organized a bit. Now is the time!!

When we picked out the material (jungle theme, of course!) I purchased a "panel". A pre-sewn side of a blanket. The one I chose had 4 jungle animals appliqued and was SO soft! Then I selected a contrasting flannel for the back. I included these steps to how I made the blanket, which seem simple to me... If you know how to sew and all, just skip this "almost a tutorial" (because I don't have pictures of the steps!) and enjoy the pictures!

I wasn't overly thrilled with the panel, as far as it's precision... not all rectangles sewn in were perpendicular, etc. But, it had a high "cuteness" rating, so I just went with it. I placed the panel on top of batting and the flannel backing and cut those pieces out to match.

Then I took the leftover flannel and cut it into 3 inch strips, sewing them the length of each side plus an additional half of each length. I folded it in half, wrong sides together and did a long running stitch along the edge of the 1-1/2 inch strip. Then I pinned the strips along the right side of the blanket panel, pulling the gathers as I went. Next I machine basted the strip along the edges of the blanket to make a ruffle WITH the batting on the underside of it all. I had also rounded the corners of the blanket so that I would not have to mess with folding corners of the ruffle... that made it nice, quick and easy.

The layers were stacked... batting on the bottom, blanket on top and the backing facing down on top of the blanket. I took time to pin this in place all around the edges, about 5 inches from pin to pin. I was able to follow the stitching on the back of the batting as my guide to sew through the layers, keeping them straight and without mess ups. I left open about 6 inches when I sewed around, so that I could turn it all right side out. Once this was done, I hand stitched the opening closed. Because Jayden is a big guy who is VERY busy nowadays, I machine stitched over that opening, too, because I would hate for him to pull open any stitches...

I still have the crib skirt and curtains to sew up... Yesterday I popped over to his house and painted his room... So, in a couple of weeks I should have some nursery pictures to share. I hope this little guy likes the jungle theme, because we're not switching it up until he is 3!!

CCParty! 003

CCParty! 006

That is what I was up to last week in my "free time".



PrairieJenn said...

What a sweet quilt! I love that theme for a little boy. I'm working on a quilt too, but I may never finish it (at the rate I'm going:) Thanks for sharing!

Savannah McQueen said...

Woman, you amaze me!