Monday, September 27, 2010

Golden Memories - Saturday

For weeks I had been looking forward to a day of "vacation" to head out and have some fun.  There were a few things I had thought of doing, but when weekend plans kept getting shuffled, it came down to driving over to Santa Cruz.

Recently when we headed out down the road, Victor looked at a mountainous horizon and said something like, "Hey, this looks like a picture!"  It was such a lovely view.  So, that became a landmark for us and when we head out down that same road now he'll ask, "Are we getting close to the picture yet?"  Victor is also my co-pilot a lot of the time.  (Thanks, Joseph, for the times you share the coveted front seat with him!)  He is the dj and loves to scan channels, then sighs and rolls his eyes when I hear an oldie and call out, "Oh!  Stop!  That's a good song!"  He just doesn't get the 80's... ha ha. It's a great way to keep him from getting bored and it worked for the first hour or so.  Then he was restless.  So, I handed him the camera.

I love driving through the Scotts Valley area.  The tall redwoods and pines shooting up are quite tempting to gaze at, but the road is quite windy, so I get to enjoy the view right in front of me.  Mentioning how much I love seeing the tall trees, it was decided that Victor would capture some of them with the camera.  Funny thing is, though, what I pick as the prettiest isn't what he captures!  By the time I say, "Oh, I love this spot!", and he gets the camera up in position and remembers what button to push, you're not too sure what the picture will be of.  But, it's all good!

Here are a few from our drive:

Victor, figuring out the camera.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I put in a quick call to my local gps service (Grandma Cathy who has lived in this area for many years!) and made sure I knew what exit to take, then headed out to the pier.  It was nap time for the sea lions.  But, the cotton candy was ready for us.



Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
It was quite sunny and warm... almost hot...
Photobucket
Photobucket
Oh, I miss living by the beach.  Really, truly.  One of my dreams is to move closer.
Photobucket
One of the favorite rides at the Boardwalk is the Fireball.  It's a ride I could get on over and over!  At the top of the highest swing, it spins completed around and you get the physical sensation of swinging completely over the top, even though you don't.


If I had to pick a special activity to do with Victor, it would not be to go to the Boardwalk, though.  He doesn't mind walking around, watching, but he does not like rides.  So, one of us always hangs out with him and the others hop on a ride.  It was not crowded when we arrived, so, that was nice!  Victor did agree to go on the Carousel with us (Only after seeing several teens riding! He thought this was a "baby" thing to do!).
Photobucket
Photobucket
Oh, yes, my lively one!
Photobucket

After a pleasant lunch in Capitola, we hung out at the beach front.  Rebekah and Victor made grand plans for a video shoot of the most irritating song, "Narwhals", complete with choreography... Joseph and I strolled along the shore... and my camera battery died.  So, I have no amazing video of the kids singing to share with you... drats...
Photobucket
Photobucket
And one of the famous mom says, "Oooh!  Sit here!  This would make a good picture!" moments...
Photobucket
Followed by the photo, once taken, marked the end of the battery's charge...
Photobucket

After Joseph and I strolled along the coastline, Rebekah and Joseph went out and Victor and I enjoyed sitting and gazing out at the ocean.  I remember the very first time Victor saw the ocean.  End of October, 2005.  He was 6.  We looked out from the bridge in Capitola and I asked, "What do you think?"  And he said, "I think we need a boat."  He was thinking practical and literal... not all poetically or sentimentally!  But, sitting with him, enjoying the sights and smells of a beautiful day was irreplaceable.  That's when he took a deep breath in, sighed and said, "Today has been one of the best days ever."  Thank you, God, for giving me such a treasure.  May I always cherish it and never take it for granted.

Look for the beauty in your day.  Live life!  Whether you are at home making sun tea, teaching a child their multiplication tables, off to work... find moments to breathe in and appreciate.  This is the day!  Today.  Live it fully.

No comments: