Tuesday, January 18, 2011

For God'g Glory... Huh... So, it's not about me? (yeah, it's not!)


During a busy weekend, I soaked in all that being in church had to give me.  Early morning Bible study found me sitting, listening, hearing from others... quietly.  At the moment I was exhausted.  Last week was quite weary-ing. (Is that a word?) Then my teens came in for the long weekend.  I loved connecting with them, but I was also working part time.  Sleeping very little.  So, at class on Sunday morning I sat... taking.  Then asked for prayer support because just getting through the days of another week seemed monumental.  As parents, Scott and I are facing very large challenges... wearying circumstances.  Within minutes of my dear friends' (classmates) prayers, I felt strengthened.  That's what the body does for us.  We are not alone in our faith.  Our brothers and sisters are there and that fellowship and their prayers work in our lives.  I am very glad that God made it clear that we needed each other in our faith.  To God be the glory!


This morning I was reading in I Kings.  As I sat down to read, enthusiasm increased.  Here were my thoughts: "This is the Old Testament.  There are so many thrilling, incredible, miraculous stories to read!  What will I come across today?  This is gonna be good!"


I Kings 18: 36-37 "O Lord, God of Abraham, Isaac and Israel, let it be known that I am your servant and have done all these things at your command.  Answer me, O Lord, answer me, so these people will know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."  (Part of a very exciting story when Elisha challenged the prophets of Baal to see which God was real)
 And the relevance hit me.  This is for today!  The words Elisha prayed are for me.. today!  No, I am not going out to build an altar and sacrifice a bull.  But, what AM I doing?  Am I asking God to bless my life and be involved in all that I am doing... so that others will know Him?
Back in High School I was involved with a family that led a small group of teens who were involved in praying for peers and sharing Christianity at school.  The dad asked me one evening, "Why were we created?"  He had that look on his face that grown ups get when they expect that you do not know the answer.   I sat, thinking a minute or two and answered, "We were made to glorify God."  It felt great to see him amazed that I would know how to answer.  But... did I know how to live it?  Not really.

Much of my life has, sadly, been about me.  When I am unsettled and longing for something, it isn't for God's glory.  When I look around and want a fabulous vacation... or new clothes... to be stylish and pretty... is it for God's glory?  When I look around and see laundry, children to raise, a husband to encourage and a community where I attend church, Bible study and work part time, do I see the opportunity to bring God glory?  Too many times I am more interested in my own happiness than in God's glory.  So, this passage speaks to me that our choices every day should be about glorifying God.  In the moment... when something is lost... when I'm tired... when I am dealing with an ornery child... when my spouse in needy... when I am on the phone... when I am driving... when I am dreaming of future plans... when I am at rest... Why?  "So these people will know that you, O Lord, are God, and that you are turning their hearts back again."

No comments: