Tuesday, December 7, 2010

When what you fix tastes good!!

I love it when this happens...

A couple weeks ago it happened with some ground turkey.  Many people say that they cannot taste the difference between ground beef and ground turkey.  I can.  It makes a difference in some recipes (to me).  Anyway, I had this ground turkey to use and I decided on meatballs... cocktail kind that we could have fun with dipping into sauces (that means Ranch, sweet and sour from a bottle and a home-made sweet and sour that we experiment with) (actually, Cody experiments with it, we just taste it).

I wanted the meatballs to be really tasty.  Good enough to each without the dipping experience.

So, I sauteed onion and bell pepper together with a bit of garlic.  Then I added that to my bowl that had the ground beef, bread crumbs and eggs.  This was all mashed up together, thoroughly.  The ground turkey is very pliable and mushy, so the next step worked out great!!  I simply used a metal spoon and spooned it out in ball shape and dropped it into my pan to quick fry.  I browned it around the edges... in olive oil and a bit of butter... then put toothpicks into each meatball and transferred them into a baking tray and popped them into the oven.

They were really, really good!!!

Now, I know you can visit other cooking sites and find terrific recipe sites online.  I am no competition, believe me.  You already notice that I don't photojournal my cooking experience.   If fact, I laugh once more that I even have a cooking tab on my blog... because I do not like to cook.  What I like to do, though, is to share simple things that turn out good!

Here's a picture and my "as close as I can remember" recipe:


Ground turkey meatballs:

About 2-1/2 pounds of ground turkey
1 green bell pepper
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic
2 eggs
Probably a cup of bread crumbs
Olive oil and a bit of butter to fry them in... or your favorite frying method... or skip the frying and bake the meatballs

Chop up bell pepper, onion and garlic and sautee in a couple tablespoons olive oil with a pat of butter.  Transfer to bowl with other ingredients and combing thoroughly.  Scoop out into 2 inch balls with spoon and place in medium hot oil and fry all edges until browned.  Transfer to baking sheet and put into 300 degree oven while you finish the rest of them.  Keep them going and into the oven and serve with rice and dipping sauces, if desired.

No comments: